1. New praises be given to Christ newly crowned,
Who back to his heaven a new way that found;
God’s blessedness sharing before us he goes;
What mansions preparing, what endless repose!
2. His glory still praising on thrice holy ground
Th’apostles stood gazing his mother around;
With hearts that beat faster, with eyes full of love;
They watched while their master ascended above.
3. “No star can disclose Him”, the bright Angels said;
“Eternity knows Him, your conquering head;
Those high habitations he leaves not again. Till, judging all nations on earth He shall reign”
4. Thus spoke they and straight away, where legions defend;
Heaven’s glittering gateways, their Lord they attend,
And cry, looking thither,” Your portals let sown;
For Him who rides hither in peace and renown”
5. They asked, who keeps entry, in that blessed town,
“Who has claimeth entry, a king of renown?”
The Lord of all valiance, hat herald replied, Who Satan’s battalion laid in their pride.”
6. Grant, Lord, that our longing may follow thee there,
On earth who are thronging thy temples with prayer;
And unto thee gather, redeemer, tine own;
Where thus with thy father dost sit on the throne.